Guide for Students at a Distance
Visit our LibGuide for students who are studying at a distance.
Students at a Distance
Students at a distance are Wheaton College students who:
- Are studying remotely, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, during the 2020-2021 academic year; or
- Are currently enrolled in a Wheaton course or program (or who are registered as thesis continuation), and who live more than 50 miles from campus.
Scanning and Mailing Services
Buswell Library will:
- Scan and email articles or book chapters.
- Mail books to a U.S. address at no charge to the student.
- Provide ReturnMyBooks service at library.wheaton.edu/returnmybooks.
Note: All library services are provided in compliance with copyright law.
Requesting Scanning or Mailing Services
Students at a Distance should take the following steps to obtain needed materials:
- First, use the Library Search interface to find journal articles or book chapters.
- Then, use your Wheaton College ILLiad account to place requests for scanned journal articles or book chapters.
- For access to print books, we suggest students try to gain access to the resource at a local public library or other nearby academic institution. Learn more about how to do this.
- If you are not able to access the resources at a local public library or other nearby academic institution, you should request items using the request option in the Library Search interface.
- Once your items are available at Buswell Library, you will receive an “Item Available” email notification. Forward that email to email@example.com, directing Buswell to mail the item to you. Please include:
- Your name
- Mailing Address
- Your phone number
- The item title(s)
- Buswell will then ship you the requested item(s) and you will receive an email with tracking information.
Shipping and Scanning Tips
- Due dates for items requested through interlibrary loan do not include extra shipping time.
- When shipping items back to Wheaton College, remember to allow sufficient shipping time for items to be received by their due dates.
- As a Wheaton College student you have in-person borrowing privileges at any I-Share library. You can check out items at any I-Share library, provided that library is permitting visitors. Contact the library to confirm their current policies.
- If you live near an Atla member library, your Wheaton ID card will allow you to borrow items there, provided that library will permit your entry. Learn more about this program.
- If you live near any academic library, investigate their policies for services to guest patrons and take advantage of their interlibrary loan service if available.
- Visit your local public library to request items through their interlibrary loan service.