This chapter applies to copyrighted works, or parts or works, that are photocopied and sold to students at the Bookstore.
For assistance, please contact Copy Center (Bookstore) staff, x5111, email@example.com.
Note: The application of Fair Use to the provision of course readings is a highly contested area of copyright law. The following policy is based upon an extensive lay review of existing case law, opinions published by lawyers, and the official positions of such parties as the Association of American Universities, Association of Research Libraries, Association of American University Presses, and Association of American Publishers. Some aspects of our policy, such as the status of book chapters and the five-article limit, are not given in the text of the law but represent what we believe is a moderate yet assertive understanding of the spirit of the law.
- The Bookstore will duplicate book chapters, journal articles, and other documents for inclusion in course packs.
- The Bookstore will get copyright permissions where necessary. Any permission fees will be passed on to the buyer of the course pack.
- Copyright permission is required for book chapters (or parts of books) that amount to about 20% or more of the whole book. Apply this rule to single-author books and to edited volumes.
- Copyright permission is required for each journal article when the number of articles for the course exceeds 5.
- Please do not post materials to your Schoology course that are included in a course pack, as this will result in higher fees for your students.
- Course packs are not intended to substitute for the purchase of books or other materials readily available on the market at a fair price. In particular, no copies of works considered "consumable," such as workbooks and test booklets, may be included in course packs.
- Each work or part of a work that is included in the course pack must include a notice of copyright, or in the absence of a notice, a warning that the material may be protected by copyright. Please see chapter 13 of this guide, "Copyright Notices and Warnings."
- Each course pack will be sold "at cost," i.e., for the cost of production and any permission fees.